Thursday, January 5, 2012

Her baby, and still her baby.

Well, it was another busy day in The Shop Downtown.
 The morning started with a wonderful conversation with one of my favorite customers. I have noticed that my list of favorites is growing, and this has been a part of the many blessings that the shop brings into my life. I get to meet wonderful, amazing people and make new friends that I may have never met.
I am extremely thankful!
My first customer greeted me as I was unlocking the door. I smiled warmly, as she smiled back and said, “I promise I am not stalking you, I just have some time to kill early this morning.”
Her precious little girl had a doctor’s appointment and she stopped by the shop for one of her usuals, which today the order, was an orange spice latte.
I made her drink and then we sat on the floor and had a visit while we patrolled the area against her curious toddler, who only found enjoyment in the things that were ordered as off limits.
I laugh at how I seem, even at my age, which I will fail to mention, to act in much the same way at times as the toddler. I only find it interesting, enjoyable and fun, if it is something that I should perhaps stay away from all together!
Awe….big sigh……the irony of life.
Our conversation was interrupted by the entrance of another one of my regulars. I will refer to her as lady with the awesome tattoos and an extremely unique voice.
She plopped down in the red antique 1930’s chair next to us, and with tears in her eyes, said how she cannot believe how she just cried as she dropped her baby off for her first day of school in a new town.
Her baby is 16 years old and a junior in high school, and it broke her heart as she saw her walk away with fear over starting a new day of school in the middle of the year, in a small, nowhere town.
This lady with the tattoos and the unique voice reminded us both in that moment that our babies will always be our babies and we will never stop watching over them with love and concern in our hearts.
It may be a mom keeping her toddler safe from a glass bowl, which she could pull off a shelf, or a mommy with her heart breaking as she sends her teenager off into the scary unknown, which is a new high school in a new town, hoping  and praying that she fits in and has a great day.

                                    However, it is her baby, and still her baby, all the same.


1 comment:

  1. WOW I LOVE THIS SO MUCH... YOU TOOK THE THOUGHT RIGHT OUT OF MY HEART. I FIND IT QUITE INTERESTING THAT SOMEONE WHO IS NEAR A STRANGER CAN TRULY SEE RIGHT INTO THE SOUL OF ANOTHER. I TRULY THAMK GOD FOR YOU CHRISTINE. I AM BLESSED AND MORE THAN HAPPY HAPPY THAT YOU ARE APART OF MY WORLD!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO YOUR'E TATTOO LADY.

    ReplyDelete