Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Like a bar without alcohol.......

   Well, the morning in The Shop Downtown, started out much like an evening in a bar, sans the alcohol. The little counter was full of interesting and lively characters just chatting and enjoying each other talking back and forth with excitement and sometimes talking over each other as they enjoyed there coffees prepared by their favorite barista, Christine .
    The conversations went everywhere from plastic surgery to people in town who had recently passed away. It was pleasant, fun and a warming atmosphere to start the day in the shop.
    Have you ever seen the show Northern exposure, or perhaps Cheers? It had very much the feel of both of these wonderful old programs.
   It was warm, interesting and a bit strange at times, which made it all the more fun.
   I bussed around doing my thing as I prepared the shop for the day and quietly listened and enjoyed the pleasant banter of my customers.
   The sweetest thing, as I always refer to her made her entrance a bit into the morning, and as usual I brought her coffee, with half coffee and half water. The coffee bar was completely full but she just pushed her little self-right up and chose her cookies off the counter, then assumed her usual spot in the big comfy vintage 1930’s red chair.    
(To read more about the sweetest thing, scroll down to the entry titled The Gentle Giant and The Sweetest Thing)  
   A solicitor had called first thing that morning and I had politely asked him to call back in an hour. The phone rang and it was him AGAIN!
   I again, politely said, “I thought I said an hour, I am still very busy. “ He replied, “It has been an hour.”
   I could not believe it, all my customers were still planted in there spots and thoroughly enjoying themselves. I asked the cute lady in front of me, who looked fantastic for her age and had openly admitted early that morning in conversation that yes, she has had some work done, “Has it been an hour”?
       “Yes”, she replied, “It has been an hour and a half”.
  No one seemed to mind spending their time in The Shop on this weekday morning.
  They sat, visited and appeared completely content to get to, whatever it was they needed to get to, when, they got to it.
  AWWWHHHH………life in a small, middle of nowhere town, it doesn’t get better than this.
Who will visit tomorrow, in The Shop Downtown?
 Oh, and by the way, Clifford, you were missed today!    

No comments:

Post a Comment